Registration by invitation. Write to invitations at this website.

• Reply to: Wound-Dressing after a crash   14 years 44 weeks ago

As some of you may annoyingly know, Elizabeth and I skate long distance via cel phone often using our headsets. It's an odd habit, yes, and hopefully not too rude, because it lets us feel we're skating together and with friends at the same time.

I heard Elizabeth crash while I was talking with a new skater who had flagged me down in the park for some information, and after hearing she was OK, I went back to answering questions. Once I was back underway again I got a more complete report, but I have to say there was never any doubt whether we'd be out there again today. We're trying to skate briefly and often, instead of rarely and for hours. More on that later.

So it was that when we finally got Craig out to join us with Jack, Tim and myself, Elizabeth was back on her skates in my ear. I think the knee pads were just to hold the bandages together, not out of any particular fear, though I'm sure they helped with confidence. Congrats for getting back on wheels so quickly. It's the only way.

• Reply to: Old Bikes   14 years 44 weeks ago

Thanks for this post, Tim. I just met a fellow this week speaking of the Wright Brothers and riding on a fixed gear track bike, asking me for information on skate boots. I hope he'll join us here and ask some questions.

It turns out I have a classic bike of sorts, and with a few people using these on my street now (I guess gas prices are the reason?), I am more tempted than ever to get it all going again and on the road. I'll probably get over that but we'll see. I think I have a mid-80s Centurion, but i need to go back to that web page you pointed me to when I'm in view of the bike.

The Cirque du Cyclisme sounds like fun and maybe doing the free rides is the way to go, then visiting the show. Not sure what I'll be doing, but this is yet one more way Dale Brown helps the community and of course his store too, somewhat, by sponsoring and participating in so many bicycling events, including welcoming roadskaters in t2t and at his shop rides. He even made an effort to get us involved in a cycling event to do some racing before the bike events, but that didn't work out.

I know you and Craig and probably others who will wander in here have done several bike building projects and lots of skaters who get injured one way or another use their bikes for cross-or-injury-training, so all of that stuff is welcome here.

The more we know about it, the easier it will be for us to know whether it might work for us too, and besides, it's interesting to hear other people's knowledge and experience. I probably need to make some new categories in the topics (forums) section. Feel free to send me feedback or email on this. Thanks!

• Reply to: Wound-Dressing after a crash   14 years 44 weeks ago

See... what I was doing was actually putting a sterile gauze pad on top of the wound and then keeping both in place by wrapping the wound with elastic self-adhersive band... Both tegaderm and the pad soaking in the ooze stayed in place great! :-) Of course I was taking off the band and the pad for showers...

However, once I managed to keep it on for over a week and man, it was really painful to take the tegaderm off... The ooze was over by then and tegaderm pretty much fused with the skin :-)

Anyway, I do think that degaderm helps with healing the wounds.. If not quicker than definitely cleaner. And, being a big scab picker it works great for me :-)

• Reply to: Wound-Dressing after a crash   14 years 44 weeks ago

Oh, that last fall that I mentioned, I fell on a Saturday and could not find big enough or decent product to keep the darn thing covered.  The following morning, I got the Tegaderm, put spandex shorts on just to hold the mess in place, and put jeans on over that.  Then I took a 5 hr. train ride home.  This oozing goo went through my jeans.  When I got home, I showered, peeled the patch, and reapplied.  Wednesday I took the patch off, and much to my amazement, I had soft, smooth, pink skin.

• Reply to: Wound-Dressing after a crash   14 years 44 weeks ago

Sight unseen, since your already 24 hrs. into it, I'd say that if you can get 4 days out of a patch, you could be healed but probably pink skinned.  5 days should be fantastic!

• Reply to: Wound-Dressing after a crash   14 years 44 weeks ago
    Thanks Jack! I'm getting back on the horses in about 30 mins, since it's not really a structural injury, and the flesh wounds'll just have to put up with it! I will probably try to dig out some knee pads just for peace of mind. Then the comfort food after that...:-)
  • Reply to: Wound-Dressing after a crash   14 years 44 weeks ago

If I manage to leave the same one on for 5 days I will be amazed! Do you also think this type of wound heals better with Tegaderm?

Thanks for the well-wishes.

• Reply to: Wound-Dressing after a crash   14 years 44 weeks ago
    Thanks for the advice to leave it on as long as possible. I have some spots on my elbow that I had the J&J Advanced Healing patches on, and now it just looks like two holes in my elbow. One of the 'holes' is actually greenish-looking (this is from 3 years ago, so it's not a septic-green!). I lost faith in the no-scarring thing after that. I hope you're right about the scarring - I'm prepared to try to keep it on long enough to see.
  • Reply to: Wound-Dressing after a crash   14 years 44 weeks ago

Actually, I would not mind oozing... From my experience oozing is not bad for the wound (it's just the smell that kills me :-) ). However, make sure that you replace tegaderm after 5-7 days since it may stick to the wound and may be painful to remove later.

Heal well :-)

• Reply to: Wound-Dressing after a crash   14 years 44 weeks ago

Hmm . . . the dreaded ooze problem!  Been there and done that myself!  I've used the Nexcare/Tegaderm product a few times and have done rather well with it.  I wish they made even bigger patches.  The bending areas are the worst!  So sorry . . .

While leaning too far forward myself, I've managed to land like I'm sliding feet first into 2nd base from excessive softball days of old, so we're perfectly clear on where my road rash has been located!   Too bad sliding on asphalt just doesn't work, or I'd have it made!  It just seems to be a reflexive thing for me to do.   Oh, well!

I will say this about my last fall.  I used a giant Nexcare patch on my "cheek" and skipped using it on my elbow.  I just wasn't that big as I barely tapped my elbow.  The huge area, not my elbow, healed faster and without a scar.  The elbow is most definitely scarred.  If I were you I would try to keep the patch on as much as possible and as long as possible even if I had to duct tape it!  Best wishes . . .

Search Ebay for Skates and More