Registration by invitation. Write to invitations at this website.

• Reply to: Wound-Dressing after a crash   14 years 44 weeks ago

Ouch, Elizabeth!!! Sorry to hear that :-(

In the past, I've stuck with the basics, Hydrogen peroxide to cleanse, then Neosporin with a non-stick (hah-hah) dressing. That, and a liberal dose of time and comfort food.

Get back on that horse ASAP

Jack

• Reply to: Our lord Stanley's cup   14 years 44 weeks ago

Thanks for the info on the game and the background on the goalie situation. I hate it for both teams that a major injury happens in the first game, but hey, it's a tough sport, eh? Sometimes I just watch those guys skate and don't even see the puck. It's amazing what they do. I know one time Wayne, the coach then at SkatelandUSA, put a ball or puck out and gave us hockey sticks during speed practice. I came really close to killing myself going after that ball like one of Craig's shelties going for a tennis ball. It's amazing how you can forget you're on skates (and heading toward a wall) when going after some external object. There's some primordial chasing food thing going on there perhaps! Anyway, I haven't looked at the TV schedule but I might enjoy combining a Stanley Cup game with food and drink if anyone wants to do that. Email or post to InlineNC if interested. Blake

• Reply to: Mogema R1 Boot Failure, Epoxy Repair, Back to Verducci   14 years 44 weeks ago

I believe a saying from the car business applies here:  "There's a seat for every tush and a tush for every seat," or something like that.  As a supinator this boot did not adjust for me.  The mounting slots run toe to heel which was just about pointless for someone with my issues.  It did allow me to mount the toe of the frame back a tad which was great as my recovery is lazy and I tend to catch my toe from time to time.

The frame I was using was the Mogema M55-80, so it wasn't like I could go out and buy a much lower profile frame even though I had a Miller 2121 which is probably as low as you can go.  Trying to develop some speed skating skills, working hard not to fall over to the outsides on the M55-80s, or just being stuck in low gear with the 2121s, just wasn't going to work even with wedges.

As for the durability of the MGR-1s, I didn't keep them long enough to really be an appropriate judge, but with more moving parts, I think it is less desirable than a fixed mount.  There's just less to break with a fixed arrangement.  Some skaters just wear their equipment harder, too.  There are a lot of these boots out there, and like anything, I'm sure there are people who swear by them where I found myself swearing at them.

• Reply to: Our lord Stanley's cup   14 years 44 weeks ago

I started watching when I got home from the park, so I saw most of the 2nd period and all of the 3rd. Crazy game! It was one of those games where it seemed like the clock just happened to run out while the Hurricanes were in the lead, not so much that they won it. Except that all their playoff games have been like that, and somehow they keep on winning each series playing that way.

Yes, tough break for Edmonton losing their goalie. The commentators mentioned that he was acquired in a deadline trade at the start of March, I'm supposing because the two goalies that they had were playing so poorly, and that neither of them have played (much? any?) since then. But so often you see players step up and play brilliantly in situations like this, so I'm not counting it as a done deal for the Canes just yet.

• Reply to: Our lord Stanley's cup   14 years 44 weeks ago
    Sounds like it was a messy one, and bad luck for Edmonton in goal. I read the New York Times account but haven't seen viddy. Of course the whole game doesn't hinge on the one play without the other goals, but it did with them. At this point if Edmonton wins it seems they'll be heroes, and if Carolina wins, it's only what's expected? Sounds like it was an interesting game. Anyone here see it?
  • Reply to: Hybrid Speed Boots   14 years 44 weeks ago

OK so you decided wedges were not for you, or at least at the time with the boots you had at the time. They might work for Elizabeth, who says her knees make hill climing especially painful for her ankles...I should let her explain all that. On the flats and slight grades she glides effortlessly, but the ankle pain comes on steeper climbs.

It's really great to hear someone who loves their boots! I have always loved my Verducci boots and only switched away from them for a bit of underfoot comfort I think...and to try something else. I'll be back on them soon and maybe even my 5x80 shockwaves for awhile to see if that kit will torque my ankle a bit less. I'll update with findings of course.

Interesting you mention Mogema R1 being mushy. I've been skating on those and I think the mounting system leads to various problems. They have mounting slots with bolt receiver that slides along the slots. This may be a great idea but I think it is not a great implementation. I'll probably write a journal entry on yesterday's discoveries at the park when I heard that squeak again...never a good sign when skating...squeak!

• Reply to: rsn2.com   14 years 44 weeks ago

Regarding this...

"Before long, http://roadskater.net will default to the new site, and perhaps another URL will point to the classic site as preserved for historical purposes...not sure. It probably only matters to me!"

No. It doesn't only matter to you! I hope the old site is not only preserved, but honored and revered, too! I'm sure I'll get used to roadskater.net leading to the new site, but right now it seems weird to me. Still, "All things must pass", and I love this new site too. So resistant am I to change...I'm still skating on 5 x 80s.

• Reply to: Skweight Management   14 years 44 weeks ago
    Thanks Jack! Yeah, Sane, that's what I'm aiming for. Plus I want this to highlight how much skating helps, in this area of fitness.
  • Reply to: Skweight Management   14 years 44 weeks ago

"...not having time to skate.  Hopefully going to start going out in the mornings before work.  We'll see if i can get out of bed."

I wish you all the best with the getting out of bed early thing. In any case, I hope you get to skate more too! It becomes very hard to schedule in substantial exercise once you have kids. Blake tells me to think of it as 'heart-attack prevention' and therefore every bit as important, if not more so, than the other stuff we end up doing instead of skating. But it's difficult.

The big key about eating whatever I want to, whenever I want to, is that after a time of persuading my body it's not actually about to starve, it actually prompts me to leave 'unhealthy' things alone!  So at that point, the 'Seefood diet' becomes a 'See the food you want to see diet'. It's like "Oh, a donut, big deal, I can get one of those later if I really want one". I absolutely cannot do that if I am ever, at all, in the slightest way, trying to 'cut back' or  'eliminate' any type of food, or count stuff. But that's just me, everybody's different. All those diet books tell you to be conscious about what you're eating, chew slowly, sit at the table, use a smaller plate, etc., but that only drives me into obsession. Best thing I can do is just 'Fah-gedda-bout-it' and let it take care of itself.

Hoping to post some progress soon...

• Reply to: Hybrid Speed Boots   14 years 44 weeks ago

With a lot of guidance from a knowledgeable source, I tried wedges.  My experience was that wedges are more of a last resort.  This does not mean that they won't work well with a different boot, frame, or even skater combo.  I just think that getting higher off the ground and not getting the advantage of bigger wheels, too, isn't optimal.  The boot that I tried them with just wasn't for me.  They fit; they were comfy; but the angle of my foot leaving the boot wasn't for me.

Once again, I have to go back to my boots, R4s, and say that they were part of the correction.  I have found that many issues that arise can be corrected with frame placement as long as it's a reasonabably correct setup for a particular skater.  Especially for me, I don't think that centering my frames are a viable solution for me either.  There are those out there that would disagree, but I've been walking on the outsides of my feet for almost 50 years!  I just don't see myself centering myself on the ground much less on wheels.  I find side to side adjustments to be critical.

So, are there any other supinators out there???

Search Ebay for Skates and More