Registration by invitation. Write to invitations at this website.

• Reply to: Skweight Management   14 years 44 weeks ago

Wow, Elizabeth, that's a cool and brave article. I'm skared (hee) to post my weight. Hmm. I am definitely not posting on Mondays, no way, as during skatey summers I drink so much skaterade I often weigh lots more, plus I really focus on food on weekends too, for social reasons (and psychological ones I'm sure).

However, I think today was my 11th of 12 skating at least a half hour. You know I am limiting the time due to injury but also due to not wanting to allow it to be work (yet at least). After skating painfully, slow and steady seem like a good idea.

We'll see if I get guts to be part of your public posting, and I know it doesn't matter whether I do or not, as long as I commit to the effort, and as long as we can hopefully encourage others that skating is a pretty good way to get some exercise, on its own or as a part of a program of other cross-training or cross-enjoyment experiences. Cycling seems to be a nice companion to skating for many, and we've noted many skaters becoming cyclists over time for various reasons, and a few cyclists becoming skaters too.

As far as the dieting goes, I sometimes go off (I think I just used one of your Britishisms) dairy and deep fried for a few weeks at a time, and I find this easier to do when I've been skating a bit so I feel good, but not so much that I feel (incorrectly) that I can eat anything. As far as any of that becoming a lifestyle change, even when I think it is, it turns out so far not to be true. A life without pizza, for example, may well not be worth living. Hmm.

In any case, thanks for giving me personally some inspiration with your post. I'm not as fast or as thin or as fit as I have been, and it's a slow trip back if I am likely to succeed. What got me into it in the first place was a deep joy in skating. So I'm only out for joyful skating these days, or not at all. Our downtown exploits have been nice spice for chicken diet of same old skating every day.

I notice in the event calendar at the bottom left that it's 32 days until the first training ride and 96 until the Tour to Tanglewood! I look forward to being in good shape by then, if not especially fast.

• Reply to: Skate On..   14 years 44 weeks ago
    Jack I wish I had your problem...I think. I am really happy to hear that you are back out there skating again! Don't stop eating as you already have too many advantages to begin with. Soon we may have enough participants to do a downtown skate in evening light...with some cyclists in our group for the social mix and easy exercise as well.
  • Reply to: Hybrid Speed Boots   14 years 44 weeks ago
    Ahh. I was wondering how many here had used wedges between the boot and frame and if anyone had experiences to share. What situations indicate this to be a solution, if ever? Did it help? Do you still use wedges? I think I recall Jack talking of this years ago.
  • Reply to: Hybrid Speed Boots   14 years 44 weeks ago

I should add that I supinate radically.  My frames are adjusted all the way to the outsides in order to help me compensate.  Even then, I recently found out, that if I'm on the left side of the road, and there's a crown in the road, I can actually lose my balance to my left and fall over.  That's a whole other story, and I know that sounds bizarre, but your additional comments made me think back to a time when I had Mogema boots, I think they were MGR-1s(?) with 5 80s, and I found this set up to be absolute mush.  It was like I had nothing to push off of, and I could not keep myself upright half of the time as both of my ankles would twist to the outside.  I even added wedges, but I could not get this setup to work for me at all.

• Reply to: Hybrid Speed Boots   14 years 44 weeks ago

The cutouts for the ankle bones and the higher cuff of the R4s should be pretty forgiving if the cutouts "hit" you in the right place.  The height of the cuff, on the sides, as I've cut out the backs a tad, should allow any pressure to be defrayed over a larger area than those poor ankle bones.  Since these have a little more cushioning than your typical speed boot, too, I think you may find them quite workable on those climbs.

• Reply to: Our lord Stanley's cup   14 years 44 weeks ago

Craig, you won't be the only one cheering for Edmonton. Maggie will be too.

TSN's prognosticating primate is predicting the Stanley Cup will be heading to Canada.

Maggie The Monkey spun her NHL playoff wheel last night and picked the underdog Edmonton Oilers to beat the Carolina Hurricanes in this year's championship. That would make the Oilers the first Canadian-based team to win the title since Montreal in 1993.

• Reply to: Our lord Stanley's cup   14 years 44 weeks ago

Alright Oilers, kick some hockey bootae!!!!!!!!

Jack

• Reply to: First Downtown Skride Route Survey Skate   14 years 44 weeks ago

Looking forward to participating in the next G'boro skride, and taking in the sights and challenges that the urbanness provides. Ok, except for that wrong-way thingy.

Jack

• Reply to: Our lord Stanley's cup   14 years 44 weeks ago

OK, Craig! We can handle you pulling for Ottawa and all that, but Edmonton? Yikes, that's way away from here and as much as it might be hard for you to pull for anyone from North Carolina, I don't think there's anyone from NC on the team, right? Bunch of Canadians, East Europeans and all that, eh? Arrgh! Welcome to Amerika, one and all!

But it's hard to beat a hockey uni with weather symbols on it, you must admit. the twisty 'cane and the gale warning flags are too cool. Methinks timv has the 'cane warning symbol on his helmet still. We'll have to see what haps. I admit I've only seen one of the games leading up to this, but I'm ready to watch some if it's on where food is offered!

I doubt much will make broadcast tv, and I've given up the cable tv (mostly for the better though I miss having Braves games on while I work at night). I've noticed there's a ton of stuff I don't really miss that used to get my attention.

OK yes indeed hockey is definitely skating. Amazing skating! And we'll have to include some stuff here about that. Good point!

• Reply to: Hybrid Speed Boots   14 years 45 weeks ago

Thanks for the additional comments. Good point about only having one sore ankle bone (so far!) I guess that makes me something of a controlled experiment. I've been attributing that to the left-turn-mostly configuration of Country Park, plus maybe the facts that my right foot is bigger and my right leg stronger. But I don't really know.

I know what you mean about duck-walking up hills. It does seem to be about the worst for that sore spot, whatever that might indicate.

I'm not saying that my speed boots are less of a problem. They're new to me and causing discomforts of all sorts right now. I'm still just starting to get used to them and to speed boots generally. But I'm thinking that at least they're not old and broken down, as I suspect my rec boots might be. I haven't tried any heat-molding yet, so I'm still optimistic about them.

I've actually got them on right now, just taking advantage of time at the computer to try to get my feet used to them. I see what you mean about supinating causing more trouble than pronating. Yes, the inner cuff puts a lot of pressure there for me too.

And I appreciate the comments on your heat-molding experience. It does make sense about not being able to reposition such a large area without grossly deforming the whole boot, which I certainly don't want to do. I guess I should keep my expectations fairly modest for what that will accomplish.

Search Ebay for Skates and More