Registration by invitation. Write to invitations at this website.

• Reply to: Skate Weights   14 years 45 weeks ago

Good data! Also fwiw mine are US size 10.5. (Which, oddly enough, is labeled as Euro 42.5, and is apparently the same for Verducci boots. All my Reebok sneakers are also US 10.5 but are Euro 44. I don't get that at all!)

Btw, here's a good page at Swat Skates with weights of verious skate components. Using "Harper Champion" for the boot gives pretty much right on 1.2 kg for mine.

• Reply to: Skweight Management   14 years 45 weeks ago

I am not going to be on any diet of any kind. The only frying pan I will be banishing will be the imaginary one I used to beat myself up with for failing at dieting. I will eat whatever I want to, whenever I want to.

I wish i could do that....I am on a seefood diet...that is my biggest problem...that and not having time to skate.  Hopefully going to start going out in the mornings before work.  We'll see if i can get out of bed.

Good write up Elizebeth

Craig

• Reply to: Skweight Management   14 years 45 weeks ago

Very nice write-up Elizabeth, thanks. Sounds like a sane attitude towards fitness/weight control, the only sensible way to do it really.

Jack

• Reply to: Skate Weights   14 years 45 weeks ago

Miller Low Cuts, 5 X 80 mm frame, Hyper 80 mm Bank Robbers (worn to approx 78mm),

608 Steel Bearings: 2 lbs 8 1/2 oz

Jack

• Reply to: Hybrid Speed Boots   14 years 45 weeks ago

Well now, googling your subject heading opened up a whole new world of ankle-bone info. Thanks!

My inner ankle bone problems begin when I climb particularly steep hills - the kind that I end up just "duck-walking" up, as my wheels have no momentum or leg-power behind them. On a flat, slightly descending or slightly ascending surface I don't experience this vise-like pressure, and my boots feel perfect. I remember trying various frame-positions, but nothing eliminated the problem. It's always possible that I only ever tried that AFTER sustaining ankle-bone bruises, which hadn't yet healed, so the injuries may still have been hyper-sensitive to ANY pressure at all. This year so far, I have not re-injured those bones. I'm planning on 'recking it' and switching back to my K2 Kinetics if I feel even the slightest bruising. These injuries typically occur on a hilly training ride over 30 miles or at the Philly Freedom Skate (lots of steep uphills from a standing start, no run up), or mammoth events like T2T and A2A.

Contrary to what I thought in the beginning - pronating actually eases the pain once it starts. It's supinating that makes it worse, because in rolling my ankles outwards, that brings the inner cuff of the boot up to slam against my ankles. At that point, pronating eases the pain in my ankles but shoots it straight up to my knees instead!

You have this problem on the one side, eh? That's interesting, and helpful too, since you can maybe favor the pain-free side long enough to finish a skate without inflicting further damage on the hurt side. Just be careful not to wreck the good side in the process! I'm envious that it's your rec boots that give you the problem and not your speed skates! Most people have problems the other way round!

I tried heat-molding an old pair of Riedell boots to 'push out' the ankle parts, but this made the boots so loose overall, that I ended up with other areas rubbing, and not much foot support in general. I think it is impossible to push out an area about 1.5cm alone without pushing out the whole inner ankle area through heat molding, but I could be wrong. Maybe I should try that. I'm scared of ruining the boots though.

• Reply to: Hybrid Speed Boots   14 years 45 weeks ago

I didn't know that you had been having inner ankle bone problems. Mine has been bugging me some too for about the last month or so. I thought it started when my right frame slipped out of adjustment. I tried to correct it but might have gone the wrong way and made things worse, or it might have been unrelated. It also might be that my old plastic rec skates changed shape enough over time to put pressure where they once didn't.

But it's quite a nuisance, whatever the cause. And it seems that once it gets bruised, normal skating that didn't hurt in the past will now keep continually aggravating it. I'm trying to accomodate mine as much as possible, keeping frames adjusted and wheels rotated, being careful about pronation and icing it when I remember to. I'm also trying to get out of those rec boots and make the transition to the new Hypers as quickly as possible, but that's a pretty big and for now somewhat painful jump in itself.

Hang in there and good luck with yours. We'll see what works, if anything.

• Reply to: Hybrid Speed Boots   14 years 45 weeks ago

Well what you have just described sounds like it might work for me as a solution to my perpetual inner-ankle-bone agony. I will try to find a way to try some R4's soon. I remember trying some Mogema soft speed-like boots that had a low ankle. Don't remember the name of them now, but they were basically like a running shoe on a speed frame (5 x 80's). I did not like them and felt like I was about to roll over on my ankles at any given point, and when I did the "Will I still crush my inner ankle bones whilst going up hill" test, they still gave me pressure on my inner ankles.

I'm sure it's my technique and/or weird shaped legs. But there must be a boot out there that'll help.

• Reply to: First Downtown Skride Route Survey Skate   14 years 45 weeks ago

This was a very enjoyable skate for me, and I was going to post all about it because I loved it so much, then realised since I didn't know anything about the area I'd probably spend a whole day researching all the places I remembered. So thanks Blake and Tim for shedding some post-skate light on the matter.

What I loved about this skate particularly was how relaxed and fun it was. It reminded me of my ill-spent youth and all those lazy weekend days spent bumming around an old European downtown of somekind, just to look and linger long enough to make contact with other people. These days where I live people have their own large and small boxes (houses and cars) that they isolate themselves in. Community is gone.

This downtown hanging-around skate was a perfect speed to see a variety of sights from Baseball parks to Museums, but not to end up with that just-walked-for-11-hours-around-Paris/New York/London/Berlin feeling.

The memory of skating the wrong way down a 5 or 6 lane one-way-street makes me chuckle - although it didn't at the time. I was behind Blake and Tim and I vaguely heard Blake saying something like "Yeah but we're going the wrong way". Just when I yelled "Whadda ya mean, wrong..." a tsunami of cars raced around the bend towards us and we found the sidewalk pronto. Reminded me of the scene in Twister where their convoy suddenly dumps out of the cornfield onto a busy road. I think the near 90 deg F heat had curdled my brain, because I looked at a "Wrong Way" sign and thought to myself "We can't be going the wrong way - there's a sign facing us".

Since this was Memorial Day Monday, cars were at a minimum. Perfect! I'll be happy to explore some more downtown Greensboro during low-traffic times.

• Reply to: First Downtown Skride Route Survey Skate   14 years 45 weeks ago
    I knew it was three digits but i didn't know which three, and I really didn't think it was a Fiat but went with that anyway. I seem to recall some distant connections with Yugos or some East European manufacturing involved but oh boy my brain's like fudge ripple at 90 Fahrenheit. And you know after I posted and was away from the computer I thought "rally car" has some meaning I'm missing the target with, and I was mixing SCCA stuff with other somehow. Anyway, the nice thing is I remember a yellow house with white trim and a friend since 1984 and a car he built to race and ferrets or cats or some such he had in the house as pets and Elsworth the roomie and a few other interesting and well-intentioned folk from a pretty nice time of life...except for me sometimes taking daywork a bit too seriously and stressing over magazines, books and programs that are distant memories but part of how we got here.
  • Reply to: First Downtown Skride Route Survey Skate   14 years 45 weeks ago

Thanks for posting the wrap-up, Blake, and thanks also for inviting me to participate on Monday. For the record, it was a Datsun 510, a road-racing and not a rally car, and the engine was going in. (I recall that as being one of the less painful engine swaps I've experienced.)

Back to skating... Comments on the route are apt and I don't have much to add. Getting to see the latest progress in preserving and restoring the southeast area was great. As roadskating goes, it was pretty easy going with low speeds and not so challenging terrain, and might be a good experience for someone looking to go beyond the Country Park loop. Doing it again under similar nice-weather and low-vehicle-traffic conditions would be very nice.

Search Ebay for Skates and More