Registration by invitation. Write to invitations at this website.

• Reply to: Cool Greensboro Velo Club site with Route Cue Sheets   14 years 46 weeks ago

Blake wrote: I don't know if Tim worked on that site or not but one of the Greensboro Velo Club guys talked with him at one point (and me, but I was not up to speed on making a web like they wanted at the time, either).

Nope, they talked to both of us about it, but they went with someone else. Looks good though. But based on what you've done here, you'd have done better than me at it. And quite possibly better than what they got.

I'll have to take a closer look at that list. As a runner, I've usually just had one route that I ran pretty much every time, so I didn't have to worry about deciding where to go. And as a skater, I mostly just do laps at the park. I was just thinking that it might be good to have a cycling route like that of maybe 20-25 miles, but hadn't figured out what it would be.

Any suggestions from that collection?

• Reply to: Tour de Lions   14 years 46 weeks ago
    Thanks for the excellent report. It's great that you stuck with it despite the discouraging start. Blake, Elizabeth, and I had quite a rich collection of excuses for not going, but mainly we were worried about the rain coming back. It didn't and turned out that you folks got what seemed to be an amazing morning for skating. So win-win really... Hopefully I'll be up to doing it next year.
  • Reply to: Belle Isle Marathon - with a time limit!!!!   14 years 46 weeks ago
    I was sure I replied before. Well if you're up to what you did at Tanglewood last year, no problem at all. I remember you taking off with ease whenever you were up front, even though I was not really eager to keep up and was hoping to keep our group together as well as we could (who knows if I was doing the right thing, ha). I guess Mark S is up there too to do the race. It sounds like incredible fun. Maybe next year guys. You'll give us all floor space, right? :o) Thanks for posting about this, and please follow up and let us know how it went. Skateylove, Blake

Thanks for finding that Craig. I don't know if Tim worked on that site or not but one of the Greensboro Velo Club guys talked with him at one point (and me, but I was not up to speed on making a web like they wanted at the time, either). They got something better than I could have done for them at the time.

This is a great club and they always make us welcome for their rides. It's a great group to get to know, whether on skates or on a bike.

Anyway I was dreaming of creating a cue sheet library here, but honestly I'm glad to have one less thing to worry over right now. My collection is all wadded up in my trunk anyway! Still, if anyone wants to save something here on roadskater.net, let me know. We'll make a space for it and keep it in view of the internet searchers...

Blake

• Reply to: Orlando FL West Orange Trail, St. Petersburg FL Pinellas Trail and Citrus Springs FL Withlacoochie Trail   14 years 46 weeks ago

i was down in orlando and tampa several years back and did the west orange trail, withlacoochie trail and pinellas trail. they're all great. north carolina should do so well!

links to photos on roadskater.net classic...

west orange is nice for taking a winding path through the straight rights of way. skate buddy janice took me up there when i was in tampa for several events, including the first miami great esskate (well we rode over there in her fancy car.) this makes it slightly more interesting in my opinion, and probably keeps speeds down a bit. congrats to the designers of the trail who too some special care and the politicians who spent just a little more to make it great.

withlacoohie was fun but it's one of those straight as can be trails (i think the van fleet is king of that genre, with one turn in fifty or so miles, i hear). it's worth doing withlacoochie, and a more solitary experience, unless you bring someone along, of course.

pinellas trail is great too but more urban. as such it has more twists, turns and some nice bridges...some of them long, some with a decent view, some that get you over huge intersections very nicely. with a little extra skating you can skate to the north end from a nearby bus stop, skate the whole trail, and take the bus along the highway back from very near the south end all the way to near enough the top end with no bus swaps. side trips worthy of note are clearwater beach and honeymoon island.

i did pinellas with my friend kim as part of the big celebration they have each year. i kept going off into the weeds trying to do that double push thing. it was a source of good natured humor for kim i know. she later went on to win major skate races, but there was at least one day she waited up long enough for me to tag along.

when i did pinellas alone, i was staying at a small hotel near a bus stop (of course it was, because bus stops are for people with no car and people who work at hotels sometimes have no car, which works out great along the expensive beach hotels in clearwater by the way, meaning you can get to some sweet spots or ride home from them on the bus or the tourist trolley). i think some of the trail goes along us-19 alt and the bus comes back on the more direct us-19, but it will be evident if looking at a good map. i seem to recall an outback steakhouse in tarpon springs after the bus ride back up. i was starving, in a very satisfying way. i think it was: skate from the hotel to the nearby north end, skate 38 miles south, skate to the bus stop, ride the bus home, eat at outback, sleep for many hours, awake with a puffy happy face, hear the news that the supreme court had responded with regard to the florida presidential election vote.

i have photos of all these trips on roadskater.net. hope you have a grand time. also, check the archives of the inlinenc yahoogroup for more on this topic.

hope this helps...

blake

• Reply to: Ottawa, Home of Sweet Pathways   14 years 47 weeks ago

That was a fun event.  I stayed with a pack through most of it but lost them with a few miles to go.  Blake and I went downtown and skated behind the parliment buildings and down along the canal.  It rained for most of that day but was still fun.  Blake got to see where I used to skate so that was fun to show him around.

Craig

• Reply to: Blake and Elizabeth famous again!   14 years 47 weeks ago
    Yeah, especially when I've worn contacts all day in the sun and wind, I barely get my eyes open sometimes in these photos. Also, at family functions, I always looked totally zapped in the official event photo, all squinty from too little sleep the night before, and putting the contacts in too early in the day. I think that photo was from cyclesdeoro.com, dale brown's site. blake
  • Reply to: Blake and Elizabeth famous again!   14 years 47 weeks ago
    Oh - I didn't see those just the one at the rest stop. I will have to go back and look.
  • Reply to: Athens to Atlanta A2A Skate Training Guide   14 years 47 weeks ago

All of that, that you're doing sounds excellent already. If you can add some paceline skating practice in there, you'll achieve your goal even more easily. During an event like A2A, being in a paceline (or even just with one other person) that's a good match for you speedwise will greatly conserve your energy, save you bonking time, and get you across the finish line sanely. As you get fitter and faster and more steady on your skates, see if you can join some pacelines with people you think are usually a little faster than you. It brings a whole new dimension to your training that is hard to achieve on your own.

• Reply to: Athens to Atlanta A2A Skate Training Guide   14 years 47 weeks ago

Sounds like a good, anti-overwhelming routine to start training, if you haven't started yet (raises hand).

What do you mean by 'moderate'? Leaving out all talk of heart-rate monitors, would you say, still able to talk, but puffing or wheezing somewhat? I guess it should be nothing too strenuous, since you're doing it around the 'hills' and 'sprints' days.

Search Ebay for Skates and More