Registration encouraged by invitation. Write to invitations at this website name.

Donate to keep RoadSkater.Net free!

Search & shop eBay to support RoadSkater.Net...
Search RoadSkater.Net via Google...
Search the web...

• Reply to: Pads - to wear or not to wear   12 years 19 weeks ago

For the most part, I consider pads to be a matter of personal choice, as long as the skater in question accepts the inevitability (not the possibility) that the unprotected body part will at some point be subjected to abrasion or worse. When skating, I am a religious helmet-wearer and helmet promoter. I am unwilling to leave my brain case exposed to blunt trauma. Even if I am supremely confident of my own ability on skates, I skate in a world full of cars, bikes and other skaters, all of which have put me on the ground, occasionally painfully. Most often, these gravitational incidents have not been my fault. Being right doesn't help me to defy gravity.

At the same time, I don't wear elbow or knee pads, because I find them uncomfortable and knee pads interfere with my skating stroke. I know that when I fall, I will suffer abrasions on arms and legs, and run a greater risk of significantly worse than I would if I were fully padded, but I take that risk knowing my options.

My helmet advocacy occasionally cheeses off people who adamantly insist on their right to skate bare-headed. Their freedom of choice and my freedom of speech meet, disagree, and for the most part haven't harmed friendships irretrievably. Into the mix, I know that I have convinced a couple of people to wear helmets, and I think that's great. I agree, there is no disadvantage expressing to impassioned safety advocacy, but we shouldn't go much beyond.

Jared.

• Reply to: Elfstedentocht!   12 years 19 weeks ago
    i met some of those skate-a-long folk in manhattan for the lincoln tunnel-jersey shore-gwb-riverside drive skate (skate of the union?) back a long time ago. they gave me a t-shirt that i loved! i need to find that shirt and see if i can still wear it, ha! sounds like great fun. some of the guys came back over for philly. peter nikkl i think his name is. really nice guy! has a web too, and takes lots of viddy. i should look up the url. nice memory. please say hi to any who might recall roadskater.net blake.
  • Reply to: Tour to Tanglewood Roadskater.net Prologue Skate Bike Skride   12 years 19 weeks ago

Mmmmm...Tour to Tanglewoooooooooodddd!! Sunny September days, winding country roads, happy participants, killer rest-stops and crashing out on the grass for hours afterwards. This event is special to my heart!

• Reply to: Athens to Atlanta A2A Skate Training Guide   12 years 19 weeks ago

This is exactly what I was going to post in the A2A forum.

This will be my second season of skating and first A2A. I would like to finish under 7 hours (an agressive target) and would love any advise on how to train smart. Last year I was skating 5 days a week between 13 and 36 miles a day with a 60 mile flat event and T2T. This year I am skating the 11 cities tour in Holland with my Mum on her bike in July, but would like to train smarter with intervals and sprint training as well as technique drills. Has anyone had success training this way and how many miles do/did you put in to get what times?

• Reply to: 8 weeks to the first T2T training ride!   12 years 19 weeks ago
    I wish I was closer to you guys so that I could come along. We have very few "road" events in Michigan - due to our terrible roads and horrible drivers - so do most of our training in the parks, which just isn't the same. Looking forward to the long winding roads in September though!
  • Reply to: 80-year-old Skates Cones and Downhill Skiing Competitions   12 years 19 weeks ago
    How does a person get so much energy? What a great attitude.
  • Reply to: Skaters and Cyclists Win Golden Gate Park Saturdays   12 years 19 weeks ago
    I agree. It would be cool to skate in SanFrancisco and even better without cars. I think that these kind of events make people feel safer on there bikes and skates and get out there. Just this morning someone asked me why we skate on the roads and not in the park, but the roads get you places!
    We should get him to join our T2T team!
    That's great news. May many other parks follow suite. I don't know how big Golden Gate Park is, but surely there are ways to drive around it if you absolutely cannot part with your gas-guzzler for a day. I'm sitting here hoping and praying that higher gas prices are what finally gets this country out from behind the wheel, and into using human-powered means of transportation, or horses again, or anything other than gasoline.
  • Reply to: It beats the bus: Teenagers have to get around...Montreal   12 years 19 weeks ago
    Good to see a pic with a kid wearing a helmet, too. That is a happy article.
Syndicate content