Registration encouraged by invitation. Write to invitations at this website name.

Donate to keep RoadSkater.Net free!

Search & shop eBay to support RoadSkater.Net...
Search RoadSkater.Net via Google...
Search the web...

• Reply to: Athens to Atlanta A2A Skate Training Guide   12 years 40 weeks ago

Well there's the marathon primer that's on Eddy's skatecentral site and I think Barry Publow's book, while hard to read, has lots of information in it on scheduling training.

For something really simple, I used to do this when running, not religiously enough, but some. Figure out your normal day, which for simplicity might be an hour of relatively easy skating at a decent pace. Every other day do one of these: hills, sprints, double distance. The seventh day, rest.

This is very simple and probably has all sorts of flaws, but it's easy to remember and not too hard to make oneself do, perhaps. So a week might be:

• Moday: an hour moderate
    • Tuesday: hills
    • Wednesday: an hour moderate
    • Thursday: sprints
    • Friday: an hour moderate
    • Saturday: a two-hour plus skride
    • Sunday: rest

But really, Publow's book, Speed on Skates, can at least help give you some ideas. Plus there's a ton of info on the web about running and cycling workouts. Let us know what you learn!

Oh yeah. Lance Armstrong and his trainer had a book out awhile back that I enjoyed reading as it was simple enough for me to grasp. It had a bike schedule that might be modified to your needs.

Several people are offering online and personalized training guides, too.

Blake

• Reply to: Blake and Elizabeth famous again!   12 years 40 weeks ago
    I don't have the guide at hand now, but as I recall the photo at the rest stop is of five or six Roadskater.net team members, cyclists and skaters. It's a fun shot showing the jerseys well. It feels good that they put us in because it means they think well of us being in the event, I believe. Plus the cyclists remember who we are and that we have skates attached. Elsewhere in the guide there's a photo from the first uphill of day two and you can see skaters and cyclists grinding their way up early in the morning! Thanks for thinking we're famous. Ha! Blake
  • Reply to: Pads - to wear or not to wear   12 years 40 weeks ago

Thanks for bringing this one up. We cover this on InlineNC yahoogroup now and then, and it can get unpleasant no matter how we try to be respectful.

There's a whole line of argument and counterargument about freedom, insurance costs, government costs, blah blah. For me, I wear a helmet and avoid skating with someone in any position where I'm at all responsible (for example on a skate I lead or when I'm out with one or two or a small group) even if they say don't worry you don't have to take me to a hospital or take care of me if i fall. right!

I don't want to be there when someone cracks their skull. It's selfish and that's OK. I don't want to take care of them with a worse injury than they would have without it. I'll gladly take care of them if they've taken basic precautions for their skull.

They have a right not to wear a helmet and can exercise that right by skating with others who don't mind.

I've popped my chin and sheared a tooth off and I know there's no way I can stop my head from whip-cracking when my chest or back hits. I fell in DC recently at one of those spots where the street is split such that you have to cross one lane, stand, cross another lane, stand, maybe repeating that. When I fell backward I hit my head on the stoplight pole. It would have been nasty, bloody and inconvenient at least.

I'm sad when I see any adult letting children go without helmets, as I did today, but even sadder to see the adults not wearing them. In this way they teach the kids, in my view, that grown ups don't wear helmets, that it's more mature not to, that only kids have to. And I personally think it's more dangerous for an adult to fall than for a child to, but I have nothing to back that up.

As for wristguards, I wear palm sliders which don't protect my wrists, but I don't think with my wrists much. I do type with them and it would be a major bummer to break a wrist.

I used to wear knee and elbow pads but they're not very comfortable and I found them not to be very effective, sliding on impact, likely helping, but not preventing injury completely.

So for me it's ALWAYS helmet, ALWAYS sliders, ALMOST ALWAYS plastic rearview mirror on my left hand, ALMOST ALWAYS clear, peach or grey glasses to block wind and grit and some uv, polarized glasses to see through car front windows better when possible.

blake

• Reply to: Pads - to wear or not to wear   12 years 40 weeks ago
    I take your point and it is definitely a fine line between advocacy and preaching. I don't think I have ever told anyone that they should wear pads, however the arguments of discomfort etc. were the same as those made against bicycle helmets. Perhaps we could come up with some innovation to make pads more comfortable (more aeration, wicking etc.) and less bulky. My concern is not so much for those who have made a conscious decision based on the risks as it is for those who see others not wearing pads and think it is not cool. I once went to a roller rink to practice some freestyle moves during a public session and was the only person in the place wearing a helmet and pads. One kid came up to me and asked why I was wearing a helmet, and I said to protect my head, he said that he never fell down. That is where I worry about the "not being cool" factor of both pads and helmets. Maybe if we could improve the design of pads and get the pros to wear them that would help with convincing the kids, or maybe I am just to wussy with road rash - i guess I am scarred from not being able to sit down for two weeks after sliding down a hill in Vancouver!!
  • Reply to: Pads - to wear or not to wear   12 years 41 weeks ago

For the most part, I consider pads to be a matter of personal choice, as long as the skater in question accepts the inevitability (not the possibility) that the unprotected body part will at some point be subjected to abrasion or worse. When skating, I am a religious helmet-wearer and helmet promoter. I am unwilling to leave my brain case exposed to blunt trauma. Even if I am supremely confident of my own ability on skates, I skate in a world full of cars, bikes and other skaters, all of which have put me on the ground, occasionally painfully. Most often, these gravitational incidents have not been my fault. Being right doesn't help me to defy gravity.

At the same time, I don't wear elbow or knee pads, because I find them uncomfortable and knee pads interfere with my skating stroke. I know that when I fall, I will suffer abrasions on arms and legs, and run a greater risk of significantly worse than I would if I were fully padded, but I take that risk knowing my options.

My helmet advocacy occasionally cheeses off people who adamantly insist on their right to skate bare-headed. Their freedom of choice and my freedom of speech meet, disagree, and for the most part haven't harmed friendships irretrievably. Into the mix, I know that I have convinced a couple of people to wear helmets, and I think that's great. I agree, there is no disadvantage expressing to impassioned safety advocacy, but we shouldn't go much beyond.

Jared.

• Reply to: Elfstedentocht!   12 years 41 weeks ago
    i met some of those skate-a-long folk in manhattan for the lincoln tunnel-jersey shore-gwb-riverside drive skate (skate of the union?) back a long time ago. they gave me a t-shirt that i loved! i need to find that shirt and see if i can still wear it, ha! sounds like great fun. some of the guys came back over for philly. peter nikkl i think his name is. really nice guy! has a web too, and takes lots of viddy. i should look up the url. nice memory. please say hi to any who might recall roadskater.net blake.
  • Reply to: Tour to Tanglewood Roadskater.net Prologue Skate Bike Skride   12 years 41 weeks ago

Mmmmm...Tour to Tanglewoooooooooodddd!! Sunny September days, winding country roads, happy participants, killer rest-stops and crashing out on the grass for hours afterwards. This event is special to my heart!

• Reply to: Athens to Atlanta A2A Skate Training Guide   12 years 41 weeks ago

This is exactly what I was going to post in the A2A forum.

This will be my second season of skating and first A2A. I would like to finish under 7 hours (an agressive target) and would love any advise on how to train smart. Last year I was skating 5 days a week between 13 and 36 miles a day with a 60 mile flat event and T2T. This year I am skating the 11 cities tour in Holland with my Mum on her bike in July, but would like to train smarter with intervals and sprint training as well as technique drills. Has anyone had success training this way and how many miles do/did you put in to get what times?

• Reply to: 8 weeks to the first T2T training ride!   12 years 41 weeks ago
    I wish I was closer to you guys so that I could come along. We have very few "road" events in Michigan - due to our terrible roads and horrible drivers - so do most of our training in the parks, which just isn't the same. Looking forward to the long winding roads in September though!
  • Reply to: 80-year-old Skates Cones and Downhill Skiing Competitions   12 years 41 weeks ago
    How does a person get so much energy? What a great attitude.
Syndicate content