First Skating After Carolina Century 102
Nothing earth shattering here. Anybody still skating or training?
I finally made it out to Greensboro Country Park for the first skating after Carolina Century. So that means I've not skated much since Athens to Atlanta, as the weeks between the two events are mostly about getting the CC ready. How would all that non-skating affect me?
Well, first off, my heart rate when I put the strap on was 130! Now, I've seen in the 120s for an event where I'm in a hurry or have a lot of responsibility, lots of people in town, all that. Most of the time it's under 100 getting started at Country Park.
I got there without much time before dark, so I set minor goals. I just did a couple of laps (5k), and really was only out to enjoy it. What I noticed was:
- my nagging injuries were not there;
- I could feel how my frames' positions were putting pressure on the boots and my feet;
- it was nice to not be "training";
- my lap times were not as bad as I had expected...in the midrange of what I do;
- my balance was good;
- heart rate quickly rose to mid 150s, then leveled at 160 or so, but kept going up, maxing at 173; the 1st lap avg was 155 (sustainable for me), and the 2nd, 167!