Registration encouraged by invitation. Write to invitations at this website name.
RoadSkater.Net skating & cycling photos!

Donate to keep RoadSkater.Net free!

Search & shop eBay to support RoadSkater.Net...
Search RoadSkater.Net via Google...
Search the web...

How Was Your 2008 Montreal 24-Hour Inline Race?

roadskater's picture
I was just wondering, for those who did the 2008 Montreal 24-Hour Inline Race, how was it for you? Tell us whatever you can while you can still remember it. Share stuff about...who, what, when, where, how, how many, how much, how fast, how fun, what you'd want to be different from the race organizers, what you'd want to do differently, what you'd want your team to do in the future, and do you think you'd do it again? This is open to all participants from any team and soloskaters too. Please share your thoughts while you can remember them. We're interested! Check out JohnnyChen's great report here: http://roadskater.net/montreal-24-hour-inline-race-report Skateylove, Roadskater


United States
45° 30' 51.4836" N, 73° 31' 38.8992" W


Bryan's picture

You know the old saying:

You know the old saying: “I would have written you a shorter letter if I’d had more time?”

What’s that other saying, “Getting there is half the fun?” Well no, not always.

Here’s the text of the email I sent to our team captain 48 hours prior to the race:


Looks like I’m not gonna be there.

All because of a passport. Or more accurately, the lack thereof.

Turns out my mom sent me a notarized copy of my birth certificate rather than a certified copy. She swears she sent both, but I only received the notarized copy. I didn’t know there was a difference. The local passport office either didn’t know, or didn’t catch it. They assured me everything was kosher and that I’d have my passport in plenty of time.

Once I got the letter about the problem, I started hustling to get the problem corrected, having a private company retrieve a certified copy from the hospital where I was manufactured and FedEx it to the regional passport office in New Orleans. Both the regional and local offices were still telling me I would be okay and have time to spare.

For the past few days I’ve been waiting for the regional passport office in New Orleans to acknowledge receipt of the new birth certificate and ship the passport. I just got off the phone with the State Dept., and apparently Hurricane Gustav shot my last hope, as that part of the State Dept’s computer system in New Orleans is still offline.

The real pisser is that I talked to my mom on Monday night, and she’d found the certified copy over the weekend while cleaning her apartment.

I’m really sorry to let you and everyone else down, and I’m now going to go do a few shots of BSB bearing lube and then hang myself with a pair of waxed laces.
Fortunately Gustavo pointed out what I knew but had failed to think about correctly, that I could take advantage of the looser requirements and drive across the border without a passport. So thanks to the inanity of the State Department, I have firsthand knowledge that Burlington, Vermont is a really beautiful place. And that the drive from there to the border is simply amazing. And thanks to the folks at the border for cruelly deflating all of my hard-earned anxiety by not only passing me through without and drama, but not even so much as looking at my ID. Seriously. Never even asked me my name, much less asked me to prove it. Total letdown.

Unfortunately these last minute changes to my itinerary didn’t get me to Montreal in time to join in the pre-race dinner festivities, but I would have just ruined the ambiance (and quite possibly the drapes), so this is almost certainly for the better. Instead I did a late night walking tour of that fine city, and formed a very good impression of it. I will definitely be doing a longer stay next year, as I cannot wait to skate hell out of that place.

The morning of the race I was bound and determined to skate to the track, but chickened out at the last minute; my backpack turned out to be much heavier than I had anticipated, and being not entirely certain where I was going in a somewhat hilly city with no heel brake… it just seemed prudent to take the car instead. This was a decision that I would later be very pleased with. I got to the track with plenty of time to settle in, hang out, relax, warm up, etc.

The warmup lap was frustrating, as the pace car was doing about 6mph. We were heel braking on level ground to avoid passing it, and several people eventually grabbed on and skitched for the end of the lap. Then at 1:00pm, the fun began. I was fourth in the lineup, so I got my skates on when Henry, the second, went out. It wasn’t too arduous, and we never screwed it up, but keeping track of who gave who the chip and bib and all that was a bit more effort to keep track of than I’d expected. But it was still mostly a hurry-up-and-wait thing, which I’d expected.

I did my first lap, and it was an amazing experience. There’s a DJ playing the whole time at the relay area, which is right in front of the paddocks, so you’re immersed the entire time in (mostly) techno music. But the cool thing, which took my completely by surprise, is that as soon as you take the baton and really put on the gas, the music vanishes and is replaced by the wind. It was like the scenes on TV where the actors turn off the lights and you can tell that someone offstage turned on the blue light at the same time. The course was a little tougher when you’re doing it for real: there’s a very slight hill after the first turn, and there was a constant headwind for about 80% of the lap that seemed to slowly increase over the next 24 hours.

I came in with a lap time of 10:45, which shocked me. I had really expected to do significantly better than 15.6mph. I was pretty sure that was just a fluke and that I’d kick much more ass on my second lap. But, it would be an hour and a half before I could find out for sure.

In the meantime we decided to try on each other’s skates. Turns out my skates fit Matt perfectly, and he did a personal best in them. Amazingly enough, I don’t think he’d ever worn speed skates before. Which is really scary considering that he was doing times comparable to Tom and Jessica. So much to my chagrin he spent the next 23 hours showing my skates what they were born to do. That was a bit humbling, but I got over it pretty quickly. Fortunately were at opposite spots in the rotation so it wasn’t too tough logistically for us to share skates like that.

On my second lap I did much better, but was still above ten minutes. There began a tradition of me promising Jessica every ninety minutes that I would eventually turn in a lap below ten minutes. I’m nothing if not dedicated. Instead I proved myself to be a very consistent skater. My lap times varied much less than everyone else’s, even improving slightly (10:15) when the rain began which obviously makes no sense. I did my first rain lap on Matter Yellows, and then fell all sort of in love with the MPC Street Fights when I switched over to them.

It was a very wet night. After my first rain lap I went to one of the vendor tents and bought some rain covers, but it was hopeless. The boots were waterlogged. And although there was probably very little hope of drying them adequately between laps, sharing them between two skaters ensured that just wasn’t gonna happen. So squish-sqeak-squish it was. It hasn’t surfaced yet, but somebody on the team got a picture of Matt literally pouring water out of one of my skates. I kept dutifully wiping them out and stuffing the silica socks back into them for half an hour at a time, but I kinda thought they were done for.

But for all that, the rain laps were a lot of fun. I can’t explain it, but although I’d only done it once before Montreal, It turns out I really enjoy skating in a heavy rain. My bearings don’t of course, and this race cost me my remaining two sets of good ones, but it was worth it. (I’m currently using some old decrepit rejects I’ve had in a drawer for a few years, and they’re good enough for around town use.)

After about two hours of steady rain it stopped, but by that point night was falling so the course didn’t dry very quickly. I was doing pretty well on my Street Fights though, so no complaints other than the squishy boots. It did eventually dry up enough to put regular wheels back on, although there were a few thousand squeaky bearings out there and the paddocks stunk of WD-40.

At midnight the first five skaters in the rotation were given a four hour break. We had tents and sleeping bags up on the roof, but I elected to sleep in my rental car. I think that was one of my better decisions in life. The place does quiet down considerably at night, but the constant yelling at the relay area doesn’t stop. Even in dead silence it took me a while to fall asleep, so I got about three hours. I took my water bottle and two double-caffeinated gels with me, and as soon as my phone went off at 3:30am I downed them both and get out of the car. I then quickly got back in the car and started digging in my backpack for more clothing. It had gotten COLD. Even with long tights, my regular UA shorts, sweatpants, dayglow yellow Team SkateLog shirt, and a long-sleeved t-shirt, and a warm hat, my teeth were chattering as I walked back to the paddock.

The next four hours were the other half of the team’s rest period, so we got to skate twice as much, which was kinda nice. It made it a bit easier to stay warmed up between laps, and of course helped with staying awake and alert in the pre-dawn hours. I’d never skated at sunrise before… I’m not going to be making a habit of it, but it’s pretty nice once in a while. Even though I had technically gotten a full and proper dose of caffeine, hot coffee is still an important part of my morning. Other teams had coffee brewing, but since I knew it wouldn’t be too much longer before I could simply buy some, I decided not to mooch of of them. I remember shortly after 6:00am, taking the baton from Kirsten and yelling “Tell Gustavo Subway’s open!”

Once the rest of the team woke up the pace slowed back down to “normal” and we settled into the home stretch. By that point were were solidly in eighth place with no serious chance of catching up to the seventh place team, but a full five laps ahead of the ninth place team, so all that was left to do was to keep on keeping on.

Then, something interesting happened… on my 9:00am lap, I got a good draft and came in at just under ten minutes! It was hard, but I had finally managed to do it. I was like a little kid on christmas morning, running around sticking my GPS in everybody’s face as if they wouldn’t believe me otherwise. That was definitely the high point of the race for me, as I had decided many hours ago that while my times weren’t anything to be ashamed of, I just wasn’t going to break ten minutes. At least not this year. So when I did, well, let’s just say I was rather pleased with myself.

At least until the 10:30am lap, when I did it again, this time with no draft. That really surprised me, and of course I came running back to our little SkateLog campsite, GPS in hand, like a little kid who just discovered that his family’s having a second christmas on Dec. 26th, and he’s getting even cooler toys.

Eventually we got to the point in the race where we start trying to figure out how many more laps each person will get. It had been decided (or maybe it’s an inviolable tradition, I’m not really sure) that Cptn. Wright would get the last lap no matter what, even if that meant her skating a double. But while working on the math for this (hey, with that little sleep, any arithmetic requires multiple cortices!), word came around that we were less than five minutes behind the seventh place team. Obviously we had no idea if there fastest skaters were all coming up in the rotation, or if the whole team had finally bonked, but it was decision time: do we tweak the rotation to put our fastest skaters on the track for the duration, with some slim hope of moving up in the standings on the final lap?

As I headed out for my last lap I told Jessica that if she came out there and pulled me off the line I’d be totally cool with it, and that was the absolute truth. I wasn’t at all certain I could break ten minutes a third time, and she had just turned in an 8:08, our team’s fastest lap yet. But she didn’t, and I did. Not by much, I think it was around 9:48, which meant that not only had I managed to break ten three out of three times, but my last lap was the fastest of the three. I’m not sure yet, but I think I might be the only one on the team who’s times consistently improved as the 24 hours wore on. I really don’t know what to make of that, other than to assume that Gustavo’s Magic Powder really was, as Jenn likes to say, “All that and a bag of wax.” Either that or Matt had done such a fantastic job of training my skates that even I was now able to skate faster in them.

After my last lap I went and got my camera and camped out near the finish line to catch some of the drama, especially as the soloists came in. Once it was all said and done we all geared up for a “victory lap” with a few hundred of our newest friends. It was a nice, slow, easy, respectful skate. Until the bike buzzed us. Then it was, as they say down here, “On like a pile of neckbones.” It was actually pretty comical to be a part of a huge pack of skaters that even after rolling for 24 hours, still weren’t gonna let some smartass on a roadbike show them up. I couldn’t quite hang with the very front of the pack once it really heated up, but I was still moving pretty fast when I came across the line for the last time.

It took a while to break camp and clean up after ourselves, so it was close to 3:0opm by the time we got out of there. I dropped Gustavo off at his hotel and headed back toward mine. That turned into a comedy of errors after I took a wrong turn a few blocks from “home,” and headed toward the wrong end of Montreal. I whipped out the trusty Crackberry and asked the GPS for turn-by-turn directions, and after a few turns that got me back on track but left my instincts completely confused, the GPS app crashed. Lovely. So, exhuasted and frustrated and wanting nothing more than a hot shower and a cold bed, I called Jenn on speakerphone and asked her to guide me back. It was about thirty minutes later that we realized the two of us had slightly different destinations in mind, and I was now in yet another wrong part of the city in the middle of massive weekend shopping traffic. More lovely. I did eventually get back to my hotel, but it took an hour longer than it should have. I got upstairs, set my alarm for 6:30pm so I could meet the others for dinner, and passed the hell out.

About twenty minutes later the phone rang. Plans had changed, we were doing an early dinner. I had an hour to wake up, clean up, find the place, and get there. Somehow I managed to locate the building using the maps in the front of the phone book and plot an approximate course on foot. Halfway there the phone rings again, and I am told there’s been a change of plans: the restaurant in question closed four years ago. Lovely. Fortunately, the second choice wasn’t too far from the first choice, so I still had a reasonable shot at getting there in time. For extra credit, I even managed to eventually find the damn entrance to the restaurant, although that was much harder than it should have been.

Once seated, which took a few minutes because I couldn’t find them in the restaurant (Picking up on a theme here? Don’t ask me to navigate when I’m sleep deprived and in a new city.), a grand time was had by all. Tom and Kirsten learned how steaks are cooked in their hometown, I learned how mixed drinks are served in Montreal, and we all learned that Gustavo really enjoys ordering appetizers.

I slept very well that night, as did every other skater in Montreal. The next morning was quite uneventful: get up, pack, negotiate Monday morning traffic, get back to Burlington, drop off the rental car, and spend the day in one airport after another. Finally got back to town around 10:00pm, where Jenn was waiting to drive me the half mile to the office where I picked up my bike and did a very gratifying ride home.

In summary: That was fun. Can I do it again?
MikeB's picture

Way to go

Nice job Bryan.  Sounds like an awesome experience.  I hope you don't mind, but I lived it vicariously via your report.  Good stuff to say the least. 

Sorry we couldn't connect a few months ago when I was in Wilm., but maybe someday soon.

roadskater's picture

Sounds Like a Ton o'Fun

Did you get to wear the roadskater.net jersey? Hope so but certainly understand if not. Great report. Thanks for including it here. Sounds like a grand time indeed. Tell us more about what you learned about wheels and other gear if you can. Thanks again.
Bryan's picture

I wore it to the track.

I wore it to the track. That was gonna be a skate, but as mentioned I backed out on that plan. So effectively, no. It’s gotten plenty of mileage around town since I got home, though. As you’ll notice in my photos and in Eugene’s photos, the team shirts were the order of the day. What did I learn about equipment? That with some water underneath them to serve as a lube, MPC Street Fights are some very fun wheels. They suck ass on dry pavement, but I had a surprisingly good time skating in the rain and had mixed emotions when the track dried up. I’d only ever done one rain skate, and that was only a few weeks prior and not by choice. But I’ve discovered that I love it. We got caught by a massive tropical rainstorm on the way home from the grocery store the other night, the kind that reduces visibility to twenty feet. I caught myself more than once wishing that I were skating instead of riding, which seemed a rather perverse thought to have. (Although it made sense after I got home and spent two hours cleaning the bikes.) I really feared that I had ruined my boots, as they were getting freshly soaked every forty minutes and we were literally turning them upside down and pouring the water out after every lap. But in a testament both to Bont’s manufacturing and material selection, and to my practice of putting socks filled with silica gel into them when not in use, they were as fresh as new by the time I put them back on four days later. I was, of course, quite pleased with that outcome.
roadskater's picture

Happy at the Thought...Post-Wet Boots May Be Better

Yo. Glad you even had a thought of wearing it. I was hoping the supersweet zipper might win the day and night, ha. Johnny would like the supersweet zipper as it is helmet over puttable. My Verduccis were tons better after I got them totally soaking wet then did a drying molding combo treatment. Silly but I thought the soaking did them great good. I'm really glad it was such a consistent high in so many ways for you. Nothing creates more skating like fun and success in combination. Sounds like the Skatelog team are awesome folk. Thanks for the post!
Bryan's picture

But post-wet bearings on the

But post-wet bearings on the other hand... I’ve destroyed my three sets of good bearings, one last month and the other two at Montreal. I’m currently rolling on some old BSBs I had laying around from a few years ago. They’re okay, but yes, I really can feel the difference. I think it may be time to shell out for ceramics… any idea whether they live up to the hype in terms of long-term submersion resistance?
roadskater's picture

Don't Know About Ceramics, or Much About the Rest

I think Skatey-Mark has some experience with ceramics and tallmarsk8 MarkC on the Roadskater.net 2008 T2T team. I think the latter has the rebuild deal going with TwinCam. I figure so much gunk can get in there that all of them should be ruined pretty quickly out of doors, but I don't know. I have finally given up on my very old BSBs as I used them on the Hanna and Her Skaters day of the Tour and we heard a buzzing if not a ringing from each foot. I was up late that night cleaning the new goo out of ILQ standards and zapping with some dry teflon stuff and some 3-in-1 (if it's good enough for the 3-in-1 it's good enough for me) oil. That worked out pretty well methinks but we'll see long term howtiz. Ceramics have cost so much I have not needed to even think about it longer than a bad smell lasts on a windy day (unless you're downwind of the paper plant or sumpin). No I don't know why I phoneticized (and made a noun a verb). Slate.
Bryan's picture

After my first rain skate I

After my first rain skate I put two hours into salvaging those BSB Swiss, and they still didn’t make it through to the other side intact. When I think of investing whatever amount of time multiplied by the frequency with which I may in the future be singing in the rain… suddenly the upfront cost of rainproof bearings no longer seems so unreasonable. That is, if they are indeed rainproof.
roadskater's picture

Wouldn't it Be Nice to Dream the Impossible Dream

The Beach Boys and Elvis spin in their graves or on their turntables in my head as I recall a recent bearings discussion at the post-canceled-prologue-pre-tour dinner ha, wherein said discussion I momentarily failed to mentally visualize properly the dynamics of bearing construction and operation (working on a sentence worthy of Deutsch here), wondering aloud why we could not simply silicone (as a verb) the gaps on the outside of the breaings, and being reminded gently that the inner one, at least, needed to move freely. Discussion ensued and I can't recall it all, but some commented on stainless steel (but to be truly stainless, I think markc said, they'd be too soft to be very durable...the less stainless the harder as I understood it). I can't recall the details but markc as I say is on the $10 rebuild program that TwinCam has methinks. I'll see if I can get him into this discussion perhaps, and maybe timv will have some knowledge and the time to share it at some point. Let us know what you learn please!

I'd add that Krytech and White Lightning with their teflon-impregnated wax have been favorites of mine at times, and I may go back to that. Trilube is often hailed, as is Pedro's Ice Wax, and lately ProLink seems to be getting more popular. Finish Line had a new product called Pro Road that claims some ceramic something somewhere somehow. Sounds interesting and it's in a pretty bottle.

Thoughts, opinions and experience welcome.

24 hr Montreal FUN!!!

Bryan gave an adequate report about the weather during the 24 hr race in Montreal and yes I too liked to skate in the rain. (I was looking for Roadskater.net jerseys, no luck.) I got to Montreal on Thursday night. Lucky me, I got picked up from the Airport. A skater friend offered me to stay with his family. Not only was it a lot cheaper then a hotel but also much more fun. Friday all day I shopped around Montreal and visited all the familiar spots from 26 years ago on foot. It was very hot. At 18:00 I made my way down to the race track via Metro and a short distance by foot to skate a few laps with my friend, and he introduced me to the folks from the organization team and I checked out the site. COOL. Saturday morning, a couple hours before the start I met my team for the first time. What a great welcome. Very French, hugs and kisses like old friends that haven’t seen each other for a long time. The start created quite a buzz and I was happy not to be the first out from our group. I was so nervous, hyper and intimidated by so many legs on wheels that I could not keep still but, I survived my first lap without crashing and settled down a little. First round 9.35. We divided the team in 2 groups. Sleep (or whatever you want to call it) from 10 – 03 and the next group from 03 – 08. I had a tough time falling asleep in a team member's Van, parked in the back of the race track. Noisy, noisy, noisy… At two in the morning I couldn’t stand it any longer, got up, brushed my teeth, ate some dry bread with cheese and started drying my skates with a blow drier (my team members brought everything except the kitchen sink). Nice! One of our teammates (he just filled in for somebody who had to cancel last minute) left us at 22:00 Gilles (65) had to run a 10 km the next morning. That left my group with only 4 skaters from 03:00-08:00.The team captain and I took turns to skate the extra laps. That was great; I got to keep my number and time tracking device on every other lap and was able to stay warm. At sun rise the temperature dropped, jackets and blankets came in handy and we took turns collecting them from the skater waiting to take over the track. My first lap (after the so called sleep) was just before 03:00 and I was happy the rain had stopped. It was still wet and too early to change my wheels. To my surprise my fastest lap was around 3:20 in the morning 9min18sec. I did 16 laps in total, 12 under 10 min. and 4 just over. (10.01) 10.21 was my slowest lap due to a congested transition area. One racer almost knocked another skater and me over when he passed between us after he had handed the baton to his pal behind us. We both recovered without hitting the ground and took off but, he went down and skidded on his back and bum to the side of the track. I sure hope he is ok. I probably would have had slightly better times on bigger wheels… I did admire the solo skaters. Wow what a performance. Congratulations to all!!! And of course there was the crazy backwards skater. The elite teams have the double push down pat… I really should take a course some day… not only are they a lot faster, it also looks very cooool… I found that my older set of Hyperformance + Grip was holding me up very well on the wet pavement. The most slippery part of the track was under the bridge where skaters dragged rain water in. As for my BSB Swiss Race Bearings, I spun the wheels horizontally every time I came in (leaving them on the skates) and dried and cleaned the outside. Damage: not too bad, after a good soak and newly oiled, all but 3 are still good and I am saving them for more rainy days. BIG GRIN… I changed back to the new set of wheels with the micro bearings later in the morning. Fatigue was sneaking up and I didn’t feel much of a difference in performance. Would I do it again? Absolutely! It was lots of fun! We came in 22nd after getting bumped up from the recreation to the fitness category. Roadrunners beep beep…!!! Team #22!
MikeB's picture

WOW - Impressive!

Marianne, those times are really good and so steady lap after lap. Sounds like you had a terrific time. Congratulations to you.

Thank you

Thanks MikeB, I yet have to upgrade my skates from the 5 wheel (Salomon slippers) 80mm 84A to somethings more up to date. But so far they worked for me and after I have seen some of the feet out of high performance boots, well I think I am going to stick with slippers for long distance skates just a little longer. :)
roadskater's picture

5-wheel Setup with Comfy Boots a Good Choice

I think the Salomon 5-wheel fitness setup will do very well at A2A. It's more about the skater, of course, as is evident by my times despite reasonably good equipment. If it rains, especially, your feet may thank you, and grip might be better. The extra stability should be nice on the hills too.

comfy and food

I probably have to agree that my K2 radical 90 would be a little faster, but at my age comfy almost comes before food and I love food. (That puts speed in 3rd place) My taste buts are going to be happy after A2A when they don’t have to pretend anymore that they love gels and all that goo stuff. Until next time Ha ha

Rain? Ah, after Montreal I love skating in the rain... ;)

Do you carry an extra set of bearings or a dozen cans of W-40?

eebee's picture


After about 3 GUs and a belly full o' Gatorade, I can't eat anything on a long skate unless it's salty. This is probably bad for me but what works are those awfully unhealthy Lance cheese-on-wheat type crackers. I have not yet found something salty that isn't laden with fat or too wheaty to chew up mid-skate. Yeah I guess speed must be about 10th on my list because I'm dead slow :-)

I can handle the SHOT BLOKS

I can handle the SHOT BLOKS (electrolyte chews) they now come in lots of exotic flavours. Like Margarita and Salt, (for you eebee) chewing them in regular intervals keeps my legs from cramping up. The new GU Roctane (vanilla orange is the best) has almost all the stuff in it to survive. After a couple of hrs into long skates I usually start munching on a ZONE bar. I have not problem digesting them. My favourite is Chocolate Raspberry – downside, they melt but, I look good with a chocolate smile. - (I will have to find some more carb for the a2a) and I GU up or take BLOKS every 45 minutes or so. One hour before TAKE OFF I down some Amino Vital, you can not overdose on that stuff; anything not used up will leave your body the natural way. (Your water might be on the darker side of YellowJ ) It comes in tablets and all sort of powder. I like the powder that you don’t have to dissolve in water, you can consume it directly from the package and wash it down with…-your choice…-. (On the a2a I am planning to down some at half way point and at the end)

I generally like water pure and all the other stuff concentrated.

Everybody is different and therefore must do and take what their body agrees to.


Rule of thumb –

-your body can only use 60g of carbohydrate in an hour (about 1gram per minute)

-protein is used at about 25% the rate of carbohydrate (about 15g per hour)

These numbers are maximum rates – they’ll be less the higher your intensity, as stomach blood flow will be reduced at high intensities.


I will be looking forward to a nice steak or something yummy after a2a and hope that some off you will join me for dinner and hopefully to celebrate a great day.

roadskater's picture

I'm Not Sayin' We Have To But...

We have a sort of tradition working now (with all due respect to our vegan friends, for whom we'll consider else) of going to Cowtippers for steak after the awards and all that stuff. As I say, we can all bargain on it, but it has been a good time the two or three times we've done't. Thanks for the skeating info. It's always interesting to hear what works for others. For me, 1 to 2 of the bigger scoops of gator and a half to full teaspoon of morton lite salt (sodium/potassium/more electrolytes) are the basic mix for the 45 oz. camelbak flashflo I'll wear. We usually send a pack or bladder to the rest stop at 38 and swap out there. We also often drop our pack off at the last rest stop at the steel plant then get it from the truck at the finish or awards (but remember to have anything you need at the finish...car keys, money, credit cards, camera, extra batteries, some electrolytes to go with water at the finish so you don't go hypo n or k).
roadskater's picture

Salt, She Said

Yeh, daas right. That's what I'm talkin' about. Rest stop wranglers get food with salt in it, but mostly with tons o'fat too and I'm already carrying that! What I want are some salty things without the fat. I don't know if I could eat them while skating but I had some Snyder's (of Hanover, Pennsylvania that is!) Sourdough Nibblers tonight with a celebratory Coca-Cola and this was a bangy combi. Usually when skating though, I can't handle much "grainy" stuff, though if handed to me, I'll often eat one of eebee's pb crackers or such. Last week they had Snickers at all the rest stops and I was just hoping they'd have a bag of 'em at the fin! No such luck but the barbecue chicken was stupendous, so I had mesef two quarters of it...the sauce was wonderful after 61 miles of skating. Something I want to try not too early in the day is Turkish Figs (the Newtons are low on Fig and high on breadiness). Nibbling those might be fun. Oh and cranberries might work, but I usually carry them all day without opening if I don't rebag into ziplocish, as the ones I'm thinking of come in an indestructible bag inside a box (but for $1 at Walgreens). I'm trying to think of sodium/potassium laden road food with very little fat (besides the Chinese Restaurant packet of soy!). I should carry a tic-tac container of lite salt and put in on the sugary stuff or down the hatch chased by gator maybe.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Syndicate content Syndicate content