Welcome

Registration encouraged by invitation. Write to invitations at this website name.
RoadSkater.Net skating & cycling photos!

Donate to keep RoadSkater.Net free!

Search & shop eBay to support RoadSkater.Net...
Search RoadSkater.Net via Google...
Search the web...

Possible Cure for MS?

eebee's picture

Here's some info about a surgical procedure performed by an Italian doctor to halt MS. The procedure unblocks restricted bloodflow from the brain in MS patients. 2 years later, 73% of those who had the procedure (65 people) showed no symptoms of MS!!

Zamboni's wife came down with the disease 3 years ago, and after seeing her condition deteriorate he immersed himself in MS research. He followed a possible link between too much iron back-up in the blood vessels of the brain. He believed this to cause the vessels to rupture and "... allow both the iron itself, and immune cells from the bloodstream, to cross the blood-brain barrier into the cerebro-spinal fluid. Once the immune cells have direct access to the immune system, they begin to attack the myelin sheathing of the cerebral nerves - Multiple Sclerosis develops."

Comments

skatey-mark's picture

Amazing!

This is some nice out-of-the box thinking. It's interesting that 90% of the patients he examined had the expected blockage. I wonder, though, about the other 10%. What's the root cause of their symptoms? So I'd presume the 73% number was based on a group that had the expected blockage. (Otherwise there'd be nothing to correct in the surgery.) Again, I wonder if there's a guess why the procedure didn't work on the other 27%... But based on this admittedly small sample size, this procedure could potentially "cure" about 66% of people with MS. More importantly, it's a different way of looking at the cause of MS, which could spur new ideas on how to treat the 34% that aren't helped by the surgical procedure. - SM -
timv's picture

I hope he's on to something big

It reminds me a bit of the discovery 20 or so years ago that most stomach ulcers were caused by bacterial infections and could be successfully treated with antibiotics, after about a century of blaming a bunch of other factors and trying to treating them with bland diets, antacids, lifestyle modifications, and surgery. This is terrific news if it really pans out as described.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Syndicate content Syndicate content